MISTRA’s Monthly Briefing is a newsletter from the Mapungubwe Institute for Strategic Reflection (MISTRA). It aims to inform MISTRA’s partners about the Institute’s research, strategic reflections, published papers, and other news relating to the network of people and organisations committed to MISTRA’s strategic engagement with the issues facing South Africa. The briefing is issued monthly.
In issue Number#39 we report on:
- Mapungubwe Institute’s (MISTRA) latest publication, The Role of Intellectuals in the State Society Nexus.
- The University of Johannesburg (UJ) and South African Broadcasting Corporation’s (SABC) Leadership Colloquium that took place on 29 June 2016.
- Strategic Reflection by MISTRA Executive Director, Joel Netshitenzhe, on South Africa’s Spatial Dynamics and Migration: Implications for Economics, Ethics and a Developmental State in the City at the African National Congress (ANC) Soweto Zone 10 Gala Dinner held on 09 July 2016.
- The University of South Africa (Unisa) and National Institute for the Humanities and Social Sciences (NIHSS) inaugural Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela Annual Seminar held on the 18 July 2016.
- Media articles by MISTRA Fellow, Mcebisi Ndletyana titled ‘Faces of Hope in a Fool’s Paradise’ and ‘Two Truths Will Come Home to Roost’ as well as an Elections 2016editorial by Ralph Mathekga our Political Economy Faculty Head.
- The appointment of the Mapungubwe Institute Chairperson of Board of Governors, Prof Sibusiso Vil-Nkomo to the Presidential Remuneration Review Commission.
- The appointment of new members of the MISTRA Board of Governors: Sonja De Bruyn Sebotsa, Febe Potgieter-Gqubule, Zamandlovu Ndlovu and Malose Kekana.
- Various staff movements in the form of management reorganisation, promotions and resignations during the month of July 2016.
We hope you find our Monthly Briefings informative and invite you to navigate our website, where you will find more information on our research, key papers, media on MISTRA, as well as an Expression of Interest Form if you are interested in participating in any of the Institute’s research projects.