On the eve of the launch of MISTRA’s research report into platinum group metals and the global hydrogen economy, Joel Netshitenzhe, Executive Director of the institute addressed the Mining Lekgotla, 2013 in Sandton. Attention was focused on the country’s mineral endowments and their strategic significance in the country’s pursuit of long-term national development. The mining sector needs to craft mining vision 2030, a strategy that would reconfigure the industry systematically, in line with the objectives of the National Development Plan.
In his presentation, Mr Netshitenzhe, covered four main themes:
· Background: the national strategic environment
· Industry significance: opportunities for sunrise
· Policy discourse: the logic and the challenges
· Towards a long-term vision for mining
- To download the full presentation, please click the link below
The Promise of Mining-Contributing to National Development.pdf